What is the oldest human-created artifact that has mattered to you? Why/how does it matter?
I would say that the Herndon Statue is my favorite artifact. It is located at the Naval Academy. It is a tall grey obelisk in the middle of the square in front of the school. It was erected in memory of Captain Herndon who decided to go down with his ship on September 12, 1857. Everyone else aboard the ship were saved by a nearby ship during the storm. This a really cool structure because it is used by the academy. Each year the plebe class is asked to climb to the top and replace a Dixie cup. With a upperclassmen cap on top of it. But there a twist that it is greased down and they must climb it. This is very hard because in the hot sun they lose stamina rally quick. They continually fight back and forth on whether or not to grease it because of injury. I chose this statue because I want to got to the Naval Academy when I get older. I have been there many of times in the past year and all the people are so nice and you get a really good education. I also think the statue is very honorable because of how the Captain went down with his ship. That is why I think this statue is my favorite artifact.
No comments:
Post a Comment